Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Valentine's Day

It’s been a pretty uneventful week, this past week – which was absolutely perfect. 

I remember listening to John Mulaney’s stand up one time as he talked about the difference between uneventful days as a child and as an adult. 


He said: “Kids don’t like that. Kids always wanna do stuff. Kids get angry, they go, ‘Aw, we didn’t do anything ALL DAY.’ 


You ever ask an adult what they did over the weekend and they say they didn’t do anything, their faces light up.” 






The proof copy of my short poem book came in, but it was cut to the wrong size, which is going to delay the release by a few days. 

I’m really excited about this book, though, because it’s different than anything I’ve done before. 


I guess I'm also a little nervous for the same reason. I got so many great idea suggestions for children’s books, but was a little overwhelmed at the prospect of making an entire book (30+ pages) for each idea. I decided to do a poem book covering most of the ideas I was given. 



While I think it’s going to resonate with more than a few people, I’m nervous since not every poem will speak to every reader. I’ve decided to sell hard copies, but to also give the digital files away for free. People can read the poems to their kids on tablet or computer –and then actually buy a copy if they want a tangible version. 


With Valentine’s Day coming up, the majority of the week was mostly spent on preparations. 






Last year, Shelly started a new tradition that has turned out to be quite sweet. For the first fourteen days of the month, she puts a heart on the kids’ doors every day with a personalized message written on it, detailing one thing that she loves about them.

Every day they open their door to find one new thing that they are valued for – and I think they’ve really enjoyed it. 














Friday night, Shelly and Jade went to Walmart to get groceries while Jaxon and I stayed home playing xbox. Shelly has learned that grocery trips go much faster when she only takes Jade – and I’ve found out my night is much more fun when I stay home and play xbox with Jaxon instead of going to Walmart. 

Win/win. 








Jade decided that this year she wanted to make her own Valentine’s box for her classroom. After googling “Cute Valentine’s Box Ideas” she came up with this Unicorn. 




I was super impressed with how it turned out. While she did get a little help from Shelly and me – for the most part, this was her project. My favorite part though was her nervousness that someone else would make the same unicorn (because all kids would obviously google the same phrase and scroll down the same five rows, and choose the same white unicorn box). She called her best friend Gracie and said “Whatever you do, don’t make a unicorn!” 

Thankfully, Gracie was making an owl for her “Cute Valentine’s Box Idea”. 






Saturday night, Shelly and I went on our yearly Valentine’s Date. 

This year, I really hit the jackpot. I took Shelly out to dinner and a movie (the tried and true “Tahlequah date night” – though, next year I think we’re going to be a bit more creative) and my awesome wife chose Rib Crib and John Wick 2 – reminding me yet again that my wife is a more stereotypical husband than I am… 


After the movie, we settled in to a couple of episodes of Longmire on Netflix. 


We tend to have a few different shows that we’re watching at one time, and this one has been pretty great so far. It’s kind of like Sherlock Holmes meets Gunsmoke. Honestly, if they used that tagline to sell the show, I think I would have started it years ago. 





Sunday brought our usual end-of-weekend events. I called Grandma to visit with her about Grandpa and how things in Tulsa are going. I finished another page of the new Cherokee story children’s book that my friend Brad Wagnon and I are working on and Shelly finished the projects she wanted to get done this weekend.


Jaxon played more xbox and binge watched a few shows on Netflix, and Jade got out her “Kids can cook, too” ( I don’t think that’s the real name) cookbook and made a dessert and an Italian appetizer. 









All in all, a pretty great week. 

I truly do like the uneventful ones the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment