Sunday, May 7, 2017

Pranks and Parenting

You know what? 

This week was a pretty eventful week. 

I finished the supervision training in Tulsa that I started last week, got some yard work done, finished two pages on the Cherokee book that I'm working on  - AND went to two nights of jiu jitsu classes. 





...and also managed to work in at least an hour (cumulative) of whining due to the soreness from the last activity mentioned.


It's a bittersweet thing, really. 

These last couple months, taking BJJ and Krav Maga classes have been eye opening. I've learned a lot about myself, eaten a lot of humble pie, and found muscles long forgotten. I've been sore in one part of my body or another the entire time - and for the most part - I've loved every second of it. 

Sadly though, the teacher I've been working with leaves this week for Arizona. 


Don't get me wrong, it's going to be amazing for him. Apparently he and his brother (my friend from work who introduced us) are going to be opening a gym there - and they'll both have the majority of their family very close. It's going to be the best of both worlds for them there. 

I'm just going to miss them all. 

Going to classes in Dr. Echeverria's house with just his brother, nephew, daughter, and son - I've begun to feel like a part of the family there. I've spent a good deal of time working on my Spanish (as the teacher and his son don't speak English) - and I've gotten to know them all very well. 


Is this what happens when you exercise or do sports with people? You bond? 

I legitimately never knew. 


I asked E, my friend, what I could do to thank his brother for all the one on one time he's spent with me for the last couple of months (because I looked it up, and one on one lessons with a black belt are quite pricy). Instead of paying his brother, he told me that the best thing I could do would be to buy some children's outfits so he could send them back to his old school in Venezuela. 

Seriously, everyone in that house is amazing - but there's just something about seeing someone who could understandably be cocky turn out to be so selfless. 


_________________

When they leave, I'm not entirely sure what my plan will be. Unfortunately the closest jiu jitsu gym is 30 minutes away in Muskogee and I really just don't see myself driving that far multiple evenings a week. 



I do know that I need to find something to keep this momentum going, though. In this short time I've seen a positive change in my own endurance, and I definitely feel stronger. I don't want that to be for nothing.







I've even been doing extra-curricular ab exercises at home.












Though Jade, of course, has shown me up at every turn.


I mean seriously, the girl isn't human.





_________________

Like I said, Friday I went back to Tulsa to finish the LPC supervision training I started last week. After I send my certificate and application in this week, I'll officially be a LPC supervisor - able to supervise those going after their license.

It's going to be a pretty awesome (if not slightly terrifying) experience, I think. The positive side is that you get to help up and coming counselors learn what they need to do be an asset to the field. The negative side is that while you're supervising them, they're operating under your license - so you have to make sure to only take on people you trust professionally - and I'm sure there's still some small amount of finger crossing that takes place.









Also, while I was gone on Friday (I'm willing to bet thanks in part to this blog), my newest out of office sign didn't go unnoticed.









_________________

This weekend, the kids spent the entire weekend at their dad's.

We fly out next Saturday for Florida (expect a whole Disney-themed blog post following our return) and whenever we're gone for times he would normally have them, he keeps them the whole weekend beforehand.

With the house to ourselves, I finished working on the flower bed and got all the mowing/edging done that I'd put off to the weekend while Shelly cleaned and did things inside.

Saturday night, we went on the first date we had been on for months, and after dinner out, went to see Guardians of the Galaxy.


I have to admit, I was super impressed.

I laughed until I cried on more than one occasion, and it was nice to see a movie that I hadn't had the entire plot spoiled through trailers.

No, it's not high brow entertainment, but it was endearing - and for a comic fan, it was pure eye candy.

_________________



This weekend, I also placed an "Evil-Tron" in Jaxon's bedroom.

Not sure what an "Evil-Tron" is? Let me educate you.

An Evil-Tron is a small, circular device that plays five different creepy sounds. One sounds like a door shutting, one is a small child laughing, one is a man's voice that says "Are you there?".






And the best thing about it (other than it being small) is that once you've selected the sound you want it to play - it does so at varying intervals. It might do it in 30 minutes. It might do it in 3 hours - making it nearly impossible to track down.







In our house, we like to prank each other. A lot.

It's not out of the ordinary to hear screams throughout the house at all hours of the day/night. From hiding and startling each other to making fake poop and leaving it in conspicuous places - we really enjoy bugging one another.

Lately however, Jaxon has been taking more than his fair turn. He's begun hiding and scaring his mom nearly every night around the time she goes to tell them to get in bed.








In addition to this, the kid who was once too scared to watch Goosebumps on Netflix has decided that he LOVES horror movies - and speaks openly about how no movie is too scary. Challenging us to try to best him at picking one that will leave him unsettled.


The thing about Jaxon though, is that he has the best "scared" face. When he's startled, he loses all sense of cool - and after all he's gotten his mom lately - it was time for a little comeuppance.






So, when I read about the Evil-Tron on reddit, it just seemed too perfect.

I'll keep you updated.


_________________

When the kids came back this morning, we learned that Jaxon had bought himself a switchblade at a flea market he went to with his dad.

After googling whether they were legal or not (they are, apparently - I honestly had no idea) I set in on the usual "This is NOT a toy..." conversation that often follows Jaxon's impulse purchases.


Being a step parent is a really challenging position to hold. I've been cautious to remember my place when it came to disciplining the kids because I don't want to overstep my bounds. On the flip side though, I've tried to take a highly active role in the teaching/parenting department.

I know that occasionally the kids' dad and I will differ in our opinion of what's right for the kids and what isn't - but sometimes it's a bit disheartening to always be the boring "too safe" parent.

Life isn't easy no matter the role you play, I suppose.

_________________


Next weekend we leave bright and early Saturday morning for Florida. We're going with my parents to Disney World for a week - so, while there will most likely not be a blog next Sunday - there will be one with enough fun experiences to make up for it the week after.

Also, make sure you've 'liked' the blog's facebook page for updates throughout the week and fun, random thoughts from the family on occasion.


So, for now, that's it. I feel like I've jumped around and talked a little about a lot of things without actually saying anything of value. I think that's what a blog is for, though.

Tomorrow we go out for dinner with Shelly's parents for her birthday (which takes place during our vacation). I'm going to go prep lunches for the week (sweet and sour chicken).

Hope your week is eventful and fulfilling.


Before I go, I'll leave you with my favorite video of Shelly getting scared. Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment