Thursday, June 8, 2017

Empty Spaces

If you didn't notice, there wasn't a new blog on Sunday.

This is mainly because Shelly and the kids left to spend the next four days at church camp, and I spent the better part of the day playing videogames was in mourning because the house felt so empty.

In truth, the last couple of weeks have been very eventful, and I guess it's time to sit down and document them. I see now why I started writing once a week - because experiences are easier to recall when you're only working with seven days' worth at a time.


I think to really do this blog justice, we need to start last week.








Or, in other words...

WE HAVE TO GO BACK!










Sorry, I just really wanted to draw a Doc Brown Alex.

There was honestly no other reason.



A lot has happened over the last week and a half though, so instead of inundate you with a rundown of every little thing - I'm going to hit the highlights:





Last Monday night, we went to Shelly's parents' house for her niece's birthday party: "Julia's Facetime Party".

With her sister living in North Carolina, we had dinner and dessert on our end, and sang happy birthday to her niece over facetime.




Before dinner, Jade and I played with the chickens outside. Jade likes to see how close she can get to them before they run away.

They're pretty cool chickens.










Tuesday night, Shelly left to go to Oklahoma City for work. Jade had a much harder time with this than Jaxon.




I ended up taking the kids to the park to play tag, and then out to dinner at the restaurant of their choosing.

Thankfully, my kids are cheap dates, and we ended up going to Taco Bell.









When Shelly got home, Jade threw her (with help from Shelly's mom, Diane) a welcome home party - with indian tacos, chocolate dipped strawberries, and a strawberry cake.






Jaxon mostly played with the balloons.






I mean seriously, she went all out.







Over the weekend, Shelly and Jade went to the grocery store, and Jade came back pregnant with a watermelon.











I downloaded a new app called Prisma on my phone that makes your photos look like digital paintings. I've been having a lot of fun with it. Mostly, I just like the way it makes my beard look.





...and that catches us up to this week.


Shelly and the kids went to church camp Sunday night, and stayed out there every night until today - Thursday. While Shelly would come into town every day for work, the kids stayed out there 24/7.


I have to admit: at first, having the house to myself was nice. It was quiet, I didn't have to compete for bathroom time or internet bandwidth. I didn't have to worry about the kids arguing, or what to make for everyone's dinner.











Shelly, on the other hand, had a bit more unpredictable and hectic week than I did.




















At one point, she texted me a picture of herself, drenched, after she tried to fix a broken pipe in the girls' shower.





















I Prisma'd it.











So yeah, my week alone in the house was relaxing and peaceful. Until it got dull.

I realized pretty quickly how much I like having my people here. I like the structure of our nights, and the sound of others in the house.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I enjoyed living alone when I was single. I never got lonely or bored -

- But now, I think I've grown accustomed to chaos.


Today though, the kids came home.


I got home from work, eager to hear about their weeks. Eager for hugs, and eager for noise in the house again.


... and then came home to this:






I guess it's been a long week for them.



So I guess that's it for now. I'm writing this, waiting for the kids to wake up so I can hear about their week away at camp. Tomorrow's Friday, and we start a whole new week in a few days.

I've got yard work planned for the weekend, and not much else.


This blog has been more of a hodgepodge of thoughts and images than it has been a cohesive commentary on our experiences - but that's pretty appropriate for my life.


It doesn't always fit perfectly in it's box.



Until next week.



No comments:

Post a Comment