Sunday, April 9, 2017

"One, two, three, Jiu, Jit, Su!"

I've exercised and then not exercised enough in my life that the way my body felt this week shouldn't have come as a surprise.

...but it did.

This week I started both Brazilian Jiu Jitsu classes AND Krav Maga classes from the brother of a friend who recently moved to Tahlequah.

One of the doctors that I work with is from Venezuela. His brother, who lived there until just recently, is a black belt in bjj. He asked around work if anyone was interested in taking classes, and I signed up.

I've got two friends who compete in the sport regularly, so I figured I'd take part and then if nothing else, we'd have something to talk about.

What I wasn't prepared for however, is how stiff my joints have gotten in the last year (since Shelly and I quit yoga) - and how big my belly has gotten.

Our first class was an hour and a half, and while I felt like I held my own while there - the next day, I thought my body was going to fall apart.


You know the muscle on the inside of your thigh? I've since been told it's called the "adductor"?

Is that right?

Well, whatever it's called, that muscle was exhausted!

That muscle in my body has never been exhausted.


...That's a strange muscle to have exhausted.





When the dust settled however, the first week of classes went by pretty smoothly. I eventually got over my soreness, and I'm already pretty excited about week two.







On the topic of soreness, Jade hurt her knee while tumbling this week. Or, at least, we assume that's what it was from. She began complaining about her knee being sore for a couple of days, so when Shelly took her to urgent care, we weren't surprised to hear that she needs to take a little time off.



Unfortunately for Jade, she's the one person in the house what "Take some time off" is actually more of a punishment than a reward.











As I type this, she's sitting on the floor in the front room where she typically dances/does gymnastics - playing with play-doh and watching young cheerleaders on Netflix.







Wednesday, I did my interview for the podcast with Misty and Randy of We Are the Revelers. The episode isn't up yet, but the interview itself was a blast. As we both have kids that needed to be in bed for things to run smoothly, we didn't get started until 10:30 at night, and it was such a natural, fun conversation that I'm very excited to see how it all turns out.

Aside from the martial arts classes this week, I've been making an active effort to take better care of myself.

Earlier this week, I went out with the kids to shoot baskets in the driveway - something we haven't done for what seems like ages.







After a game of PIGGY (Initially "PIG", but Jaxon didn't like losing before Jade), Jade got her sidewalk chalk out and we decorated the driveway.









Friday we had a training for work out at Camp Egan (a camp I've only been to before as a camper or camp counselor). It was a gorgeous day out, and nice to have a creek close by for our lunch break. I got to visit with coworkers I don't get to see as often as I'd like - and even won a bluetooth speaker in an afternoon drawing.


(I forgot to take pictures while there, so I had to google this picture of the top of Egan's hill)





I know I sound like a broken record sometimes, but I truly love working for the Cherokee Nation. I pour my heart into my job, and it's so nice working for a Nation and a department where I actually feel taken care of. The job has its headaches, and more than a few times I've found myself flustered at frustrating situations - but at the end of the day, I feel so lucky and so blessed to have ended up where I'm at.



Saturday we had a good friend come into town from Ada, so we took him out to Sam n Ella's for pizza.

It's such an interesting question - Where do you take someone for dinner in your town when they've never been there before, and more than likely won't be back anytime soon?

For us, pizza is always a favorite - and Sam n Ella's has some of the best pizza in the state.


Seriously, I'll fight you if you disagree.



Ignore the first part of this blog, and give me  a few weeks.




Sunday finds us prepping for the upcoming week. I've got the makings of Greek chicken wraps already boxed up in the fridge. Shelly is doing laundry and watching Friends on Netflix for the thousandth time. Jade's binge watching her cheer show. Jaxon has yet again sealed himself in his room to play xbox with his online friends.

They're all kids.

I've checked.

I do however foresee a time in the not-too-distant future where I'll be in the market for a human-sized crowbar.

Honestly, that kid lives in his room right now. I don't see that getting better when we start adding the word "teen" to the end of his age.


Not today, though.

... Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. My grandson will be 14 this summer, and he has been holed up in his room for 3 years. Good lock.

    ReplyDelete